A day on the town, Red Line Yarn Crawl....


This is a photo of Anne Weaver, one designer who inspires me to try things I did not think I could do. Over a year ago I cast on this pattern in an acrylic yarn and tried so hard to get gauge. I frogged it three different times before declaring surrender.

I have always hoped I could find a yarn that would fit the pattern's gauge and on today's yarn crawl, I hit the mother lode!

I started the Red Line Yarn Crawl at Windsor Button. There weren't many people there and I was able to really focus and make some decisions. As I strolled through this old time notions shop, wood floors creaking beneath my feet, I felt myself surrendering to the attractions of Madelinetosh!!! I have stood in front of this display numerous times , but today, being my birthday, I decided to splurge and get what I needed to revisit the Weaver sweater. I bought enough of the Baltic colorway to finally make Everybody Knows. I have been trying to make this sweater for so long, and now that I have REAL wool, maybe this one will be successful?!  I have the perfect buttons- a gorgeous mother of pearl, in a shade of teal that I bought in this same store when I was feeling confident that the acrylic version was going to be a good fit. I ended up with so much extra fabric that I frogged the entire thing. But the desire to overcome the defeat was always there, so now I am happy to report that I am swatching and loving how this color looks. I need to get help uploading the photos... I promise you will see them here soon.

I left Windsor and headed to the Red Line/Porter Square to visit Lucy at Mind's Eye Yarns where there was a yarn tasting of Cascade Yarns. I took away two deep red skeins of Alpaca, and I got some back issues of Interweave Knits magazines at a great price. I have decided that these are a good resource for articles and patterns, especially when I can get the at a discount!

Tired, but still feeling heady from the chatter of other Mind's Eye shop patrons, I headed to the Red Line again and travelled to the JFK stop. Stitch House is a short walk away. As I entered, Annissa called over... "I knew I would see you today". I always feel like I am at home in this shop, good company, great yarn selection and usually something yummy to eat. I scored some beautiful wools, pix later. 

I ended my day of shopping at the Haymarket stands where I got as much produce as I could carry. Perhaps this day was not everyone's idea of a great birthday, but for me it was one happy excursion! 


Comments

Popular Posts