2KCBWDAY4 What ever happened to....?

This post assignment asks us to think of a knitted or crocheted item that has been made in the past. Since my blog is so young you will have to trust me on this one. There is no history of it's making since it was back in 1975.

At the time, I was in my junior year at Acton Boxborough Regional High School. I so loved the art teachers and the classes they taught that I became a frequent visitor, or even a loiterer. I knew how to knit, but this is where I learned to crochet. I must have had some help in learning this, but I don't recall the details. I am sure that much of it I learned from a book, because I knew no one who crocheted.

I started making granny squares, colorful inner hues, traditional black borders. It was hypnotizing, the squares stacked up. Before long, I realized I would need to make a plan for how I would organize the rainbow of colors. As I crocheted the squares into rows, I imagined this afghan being used as a protective shield by me and my sibs as we scrambled together to watch the Wizard of Oz, as a breezy tent covering hung over a clothesline strung between the two pine trees in the backyard, later as an adornment for the back of numerous couches in my parent's home. Now I imagine the afghan is warming another family; the many piles of things accumulated over the years has been moved from my parent's family room on to Salvation Army or Goodwill. I hope that heavy, colorful, warm quilt is starting a new chapter in its life.

Comments

Aw, I can relate about those granny squares. I still like to do them. Did you know that Ravelry has a granny square GROUP??

Popular Posts