Cooking update Perciatelli!

Photo  from blog, We are Never Full, Perciatelli Al Amartriciana

Perciatelli

As I mentioned back in a past blog, we have the Skinny Italian cookbook and I have tried more recipes in this book in a short period than any other cookbook. Our favorite has become Buccatini a' Amaritriciana. 

You need perciatelli, a specific pasta, for this recipe and it is worth searching for. You will also need to get some pancetta, the Italian version of bacon. First set a large pot of water on to boil. As you wait for the water to heat up, saute the diced pancetta in EVOO (extra virgin olive oil). Once it is browned, take the pancetta out and set aside. Saute one large diced onion in the olive oil and pan drippings until transparent. 

Photo from wikimedia

By now, the salted water should be ready to add the perciatelli, pasta which is long like spaghetti, but shaped like a straw. Cook according to the package or about 7 minutes. As the pasta cooks, you add salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to the onions, stir for a minute or two then add the pancetta. Strain the pasta, put it back into the pot and then pour the sauce over it. Heat on medium and stir until all of the pasta is coated. Serve in a low pasta bowl, sprinkled with freshly grated romano cheese.

The taste of this is hard to describe but once you have it, it may become one of your family's favorite comfort foods. The pasta is creamy and coated with the flavored oil/pancetta sauce. I don't go overboard with the crushed red pepper, so there is heat but not too much. And freshly grated romano... nothing better. Serve with a salad and fresh bread. Yum!

Comments

Evelyn said…
Can you come over and make this incredible dish for me, please? It's 8am but I'm ready for dinner!
Annie said…
Interesting pasta, I've never heard of it before. that recipe sounds super yummy
Patricia said…
Looks great! I wonder what the difference is between Perciatelli and Buccatini...probably just place of origin. I am dying for pasta...but I gained weight on my family vacation so I am looking at salads...not carbs. But soon....

Popular Posts