Happy New Year's

I have been away from my blog for such a long time. I have been thinking about what I should post and I can't seem to come up with anything coherent. Would you want to read about what I've been knitting since the pressure of Christmas has passed? (If you know me at all, you might have experienced my grumpy rumblings when access to my needles was pushed aside for Christmas shopping, cooking and decorating. Now that I am able to work on my projects again, I feel much more calm and in tune with happy thoughts.

I have a number of items that I will put here ahead of FO Friday (finished objects). I might try and link to last week's post, if the linky still lets me do that.




Gap-Tastic Cowl in Lion Brand Wool_Ease Chunky on size 13 needles
Gap-Tastic Cowl
This was a mindless knit and though I do love seed stitch, it got to be a bit much towards the end. I have two more to make for my girls.



Big Button Hat, Lion Brand Hometown on size 13 needles
Big Button Hats
I finished these last but will be sending them off to the recipients today. I hope they are loved! This is such a great pattern, quick, cute and a great canvas for a cool big button.
(Gotta love that I have Windsor Button to go to for inspiration and supplies! If you are in need of buttons and can't get into Boston, call or shop online. They are great at customer service and their selection is amazing!).


Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick on size 19 needles
Herringbone Neckwarmer
Another gift that was not given on time, I wanted to wait until everyone's gifts were finished before mailing them. This is cute and I will include a note recommending that it be pulled over the head; the pattern doesn't have you make buttonholes and I wonder if the wearer will be able to line it up to look as the pattern intended.



Sinful Ribbed Scarf, Lamb's Pride Bulky on size 15 needles
Sinful Ribbed Scarf
I made this for a teacher at work. It took me a few attempts to get the right needle/fabric but I like how it turned out. I used two skeins of Lamb's Pride Bulky and size 15 needles.

WIPs or works in progress
Now that I have shared my FOs, here is what I have been focusing my time on. I gave each of my girls new coats for Christmas and I have been working on cowls or scarves this past week of school vacation.


Lion Brand Homespun on size 10 needles
Welted Cowl
I have wanted to make this ever since I got the Vogue Knitting (Holiday 2010) magazine that includes it. It is another of John Brinegar's designs. I intended to use stash yarn, but ended up needing a second skein ..... will it still qualify as stash bustin?

Cream Bramble Cowl in Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick, size 17 needles
Reverse side of Bramble
Cream Brambles
I found this cowl and hope the scale of it will be good for one of the girls. It is bulky but not so voluminous as the Gap-Tastic. The stitch pattern is easy to memorize and because it is a bulky yarn knit on big needles, it is going very quickly.


Solitaire Beret in Lion Brand Alpine Wool on size 10 1/2 needles
Solitaire Beret, from Weekend Hats (This is such a great book and so worth your perusal! Trust me, buy it!)
I need to make another gift hat and had Lion Brand Alpine Wool in stash. I started making this last night but realized I was going to need another skein, (plus I messed up reading the cable pattern directions), so I will be frogging to make this instead.

I have more things brewing and waiting for some of these items to be finished. I will share my upcoming projects with you soon.

Comments

FoFo said…
You have been very busy! I'm just now getting back into the swing of things. Happy New Year!
Kepanie said…
Your header pic is very very cool.
I love the simplicity of seed stitch! It makes such luxurious, textured fabric.
I love how you put those fancy neat buttons as its same colored hat.
It's really awesome how these projects you picked have great textures.
Erin_in_Boston said…
Kepanie, Thank you for the compliment. I love this bridge and enjoy viewing it from my neighborhood. The best is when it is lit up at night.

Seed stitch... at first I hated the repetitive nature of it, but I love the fabric it makes.

And the buttons, I guess I am at the mercy of the available buttons. These are 1 and 1/2 inches across. They can get pricey!
Erin_in_Boston said…
Hi FoFo.
I was so bereft during the days leading up to the holidays; I had no time to knit and really felt so sad. Now I guess I am making up for it. I got some yarn on sale and am back to the Lion Brand work horse fiber. I have been busy doing cowls and next hope to make a few more hats. What are you working on?
goodpurlgonebad said…
I love the texture of seed stitch (we call it moss stitch in the UK), but knitting lots of it does make me want to cry. It is one of the best possible reasons for having a proper go at continental-style knitting, I think.

Your knitting all looks so soft and tactile, beautiful!
Sandy said…
You've been busy. Lots of nice projects, but my favorite...the big button hat! Love the look.
Erin_in_Boston said…
That Big Button hat is amazing. I can whip one up in less than two hours; I've made seven in the last month or so. They are so well received as gifts; I have yet to keep one for myself!
kiwiyarns said…
Lovely projects! I am sure the recipients will love them. Isn't chunky wool so good for a quick win! Happy New Year.
Evelyn said…
Great FOs, E. I especially love the Herringbone Neckwarmer -- what a fantastic color!
Inky077 said…
Wow, wow, wow, on every project. Again, the knack of putting color, texture, yarn and pattern together in such a way to showcase all is amazing to me. There should be a job in this somewhere??? I am def. putting Bramble, Gap-tastic and Herringbone neck warmers on my immediate to-do list... island winter cold is creeping down the neck of my peacoat - ack!
Contessa said…
I just love those button hats!!!
Dorothy said…
All your things are lovely. I particularly like the big button idea - it really 'dresses up' a hat nicely. Happy New Year to you and yours.

Popular Posts