Friday, March 2, 2012

Blogger Hub Yarn Swap Day 2



Blog Hub Yarn Swap Day Two: Something Handmade

This gift was squishy and wrapped in spring green tissue. Once opened, it revealed a beautifully crocheted pincushion. The fiber and needle used to create this delicate and unique gift must have required patience and strong eyesight. The pale green and brown yarn/thread looked to be a very fine gauge cotton, and I'm guessing the needle must have been less than a size 1 crochet hook.
A hand-made gift, a pin cushion.

A side view to show the construction details.
Thank you Andrea! I will now be inspired to get a proper sewing box put together and will have this color combination as a jumping off point as I search for something that will coordinate or compliment your hand made gift.

After sleuthing a bit on Life on Laffer, I discovered that my swap partner is a test knittter for two of my most admired designers/businesswomen/moms. That's right, Andrea did some of the test knits for Coastal Knits, a book recently released by Hannah Fettig and Alana Dakos.

Hannah's website , Knitbot, shows a number of popular and edgy designs that many of my friends have made or have queued in their Ravelry Favorites tab. Alana is a designer and podcaster of Nevernotknitting, and I have listened to almost all of her podcasts. I like to think of her podcasts as the equivalent of the Wall Street Journal for knitters. If there is a pattern or yarn that you need to know about, Alana has probably reviewed it or featured it in her projects or blog. I urge you to check these designers out if you aren't familiar with their work. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Andrea's post of February 18 is entitled Knitting Ennui. She tells of a yarn shopping expedition, lunch at Melt Bar and Grill and then she exposes that her knitting life is stalled. I can empathize and agree with many of the comments that suggest to cast on something small and indulgent.

As I was reading back issues of Knitter's Review, I came upon this article which might help any of us get over the slump of not knitting. Clara Parkes, in When the Needles are Silent, offers a number of strategies to resume knitting mojo. Go here to read the ideas she shares.

The other thing I discovered while sleuthing on Andrea's blog is that she and a friend are podcasters of the show Wool Junkies, the link is here.   I plan to listen to a few episodes tonight while I work on one of the most gorgeous knits of late. I am making a cowl from New England Knits, I am using Malabrigo Worsted in a colorway called Kaleidoscope.

4 comments:

Faith (the Vampire Slayer) said...

Such a lovely gift! That will be a great color palette to build around.

Vivianne said...

Oh wow, that is such a special gift, beautiful and practical ...

craftyyuppie said...

oooooooooh, i love that!

FoFo said...

Very pretty.