Super Saturday

(I apologize to my friends that were waiting for the Yarn Crawl details....this post is on a time delay.... I had limited time to write up the details due to intense pressures of MCAS Alt Portfolios at work, and the weather has been so grey that my pictures were not great. But know that I have been thinking of you and wanting to share in the excitement over yarny goodies.......)

Saturday was the Red Line Yarn Crawl. What is that you ask?  A yarn crawl? In this case, three shops in Boston who are within walking distance of the MBTA's Red Line participate. Stitch House in Dorchester, Windsor Button in Downtown Boston, and Mind's Eye in Porter Square, Cambridge, sponsored the crawl.  Each shop featured a variety of exciting events, from great buys on yarn, accessories, and books to drawings, door prizes, gifts with purchase and yummy food. Each store stamped my passport and with each stamp, the discount on my coupon increased.

Because they tweeted about an early bird special, I chose to go to Stitch House in Dorchester first. I began the day where it was calm, not many shoppers were in the store, and I was able to browse and think before deciding on what to buy. Here is what I brought home with me.

This cake of yarn holds frog captive. It is a little container that I keep a pair of earrings in.
Early Bird Gift Bag
A tote filled with two magazines and a sticker.
I was one of the Stitch House early birds and I scored a great denim tote bag that had two fabric related magazines inside. Thanks Annissa! It has become my bag for work. Perfect size.....

Early bird swag! There are some interesting articles and patterns inside!

The other early bird goodie. A great selection of fabrics for inspiration and ideas.
I won the first drawing...
A kit including a pattern by Amanda Lilley for Zig Zag mittens, and two skeins of Cascade Superwash in natural color.
My raffle ticket was pulled and I got this Amanda Lilley pattern for mittens and two skeins of Cascade Super Wash.

I also got two patterns, Cedarleaf Shawlette by Alana Dakos of the podcast Never Not Knitting, and Spiral Ribbed Hat by Kate Jackson Knits.
I plan to use the yarn that got me started knitting, handspun wool from Northampton Wools. Kaela gave it to me for Christmas at least 6 years ago. Yes, another hat. I am hat obsessed.

I have wanted this pattern for some time now and plan to use midnight blue Cascade Heritage sock yarn that has languished in my stash for more than four years.
I picked up two books, Fearless Knitting and Ysolda Teague's new book, Saturday Treat. 
This is a great book that walks you through techniques and knitting know-how.
Ysolda Teague's new book, there are two projects I am eager to start.

Yarn: Jojoland- Fantasia, colorway Dewberry. Content 100% merino wool. I want to make another Braided Swirl Tam.

Classic Elite Yarns, Firefly in pinky red. Content, 75%viscose, 25% linen. I plan to swatch for this pattern. Or maybe this one. OOOOOOOh! I just found this!!!

Classic Elite Yarns, Montera in yellow. Yarn content, 50% llama and 50% wool. I plan to make a cowl, maybe this one....
Using my little frog prince to weigh down the swatch.
My strategy was to try hard not to get crazy over sale yarn. I have so much to knit up already, so I decided to buy a few patterns and books. Annissa had so many tempting things on sale, including some cashmere that was half price.... but I stayed focused, regretfully.... Three kinds of yarn was actually good for me... in years past I left with shopping bags full of yarn, some of which which still sits in the stash bin.

After hanging out at Stitch House for quite awhile, I headed into Windsor Button. There was yarn tasting to be had! I browsed a bit before sitting down to sample about ten different summer weight yarns.  My plan was to get more of the gorgeous purple Malbrigo Gruesa. (I bought two skeins a few weeks back, the siren's call inspired me.... to get more!)  I wasn't sure what I wanted to make with this color, but I knew I needed to have it in my wardrobe! I have a plan for this fiber, I won't reveal what I am working on, but I can't wait to share it with you...
Windsor Button, Malabrigo Gruesa in Purple Mystery. I have already started a project with this bulky yarn.
This mohair will hopefully become a "Scribble" shawl; I will pair it with some Malabrigo in stash.

Fusion self-striping mohair from Windsor Button. I am planning to make a "scribble" scarf with this.
Yarn tasting swatch, Berroco Lago.
I sat and tested out some new (to me) yarns. I will post about these later on this week. There is a story that entertained me as I knit, this too will be revealed in another post. I only bought two kinds of yarns at Windsor, but I treated myself to a new pair of circular Addi's, they will come in handy with some of the shawls I have on my docket. The free gift with purchase was a tape measure... as the Yarn Harlot says, you can never have too many of these tools. They always disappear... Thanks Susan, for the hospitality, encouragement and guidance... these experiences are what keep me coming back for more!

Once home, I was greeted by my three girls who had been busy doing some shopping of their own. Here is what they gave me....   (Did I forget to mention the Yarn Crawl and my birthday coincide? .... like a Bermuda Triangle.....)


Yup, the best birthday cakes come from Lyndell's. I always say... "All I want is cake, good cake.... but was I ever surprised when they opened the box and showed me my personalized cake.... so cool.

Have you any idea how much I love cake?????
After cake, they eagerly urged me to open my gift. I was reluctant because I already had what I wanted, a day out trolling my favorite yarn shops, a nice collection of projects to knit up, and their happy faces. But they insisted, so here is what the big pink bag held.


Coach, real, bright red, and in the size I have been coveting. But don't judge my girls as uber extravagant... they diligently shopped TJ Maxx and found my gift at a discount..... the best gift ever.

Plus, I was informed later, there is another gift due to arrive monthly for the next year.... a subscription to Vogue Knitting! Yay!

I love birthdays.... even if it increases my age by one, I realize I am blessed....what great and generous girls I have...... and an enhanced stash too..... :P

Comments

grandmastatus said…
Wow- GREAT haul! And you won a drawing, see? That was a birthday gift from the cosmos. ;)

Also, I am so jealous there are 3 yarn shops within walking distance! My nearest LYS is at least 30 minutes by car.

Happy belated b-day ^_^
FoFo said…
Happy Belated Birthday!!! You got some great stuff!!!

Popular Posts