3KCBWDAY4 Day Four - Thursday 26th April, 2012 Do You Knit or Crochet For All Seasons?

Knit Crochet Blog week
A Knitter or Crocheter For All Seasons?
Do I knit differently depending upon the season? Hmmmm, I really don't know. I have become so consumed with new projects, new skills, new yarns and hence, I guess it doesn't matter that much what the season is, as long as I can be knitting. But does the temperature affect what I will work with? Again, I am not sure if I can answer, as long as I can play with fiber and sticks, I am happy.

I have not  been knitting daily for that long, and when I look back over my projects and the times when I started them I don't see any pattern. But that is because up until a year ago, I was knitting much more sporadically. Now, I feel like a day is a disappointment if I don't get at least an hour in on a project.

Here's what my project page shows for Spring/Summer seasonal knitting. 

June July 2009
Cast on Toeless Yoga Socks, Slippers and a few cowls. This was my first attempt at socks and at cables.

Spring 2010
Cast on a number of things that ended up getting frogged or relegated to the back of the closet. Decimal SweaterRibbon Tank, both are still partly done, but I think I made a bad match of yarn to pattern. I also made and finished some accessories, Felted BagCinnamon Hat, Cinnamon Kitty and Ruby Hoodie. I was experimenting with felting and even attempted a pretty complicated zippered jacket. I must say I am happy with only one of these projects, the others are a bit of an embarrassment.

Spring 2011
Nigh Duck bag
Favorite Cardigan
Manana Cardigan
Baltic Tea Leaves
Pike Vest
Spring 2011
This spring was a time of success and happy matching of yarn to project; there are quite a few completed sweaters. This is when the committed knitting got underway.
Cast on Pike Vest, Manana SweaterBaltic Tea Leaves, and Olive Favorite Cardigan. I also made the Nigh Duck during the Blog Hub Yarn Swap. These projects weren't really seasonal so much as a foray into more complicated knitting. Lacy stitches, cables, fit; I was happy with the results.

Spring 2012
Montague in Malabrigo Gruesa
Iced in Brown Sheep Nature Spun yarn won in Windsor Button Red Line Crawl drawing
Spring 2012
Cast on Bridgewater Shawl, Sugar Maple Socks, Montague Bulky Lace Vest, Woodland Shawlette, Wholehearted Shawl, Iced Baked Beans.
This spring I cast on a large number of things, many more than in prior years. I don't think I was knitting for the season as much as working with yarns I had picked up on sale or used to decrease the stash. I have ten projects from this season and they aren't really seasonal so much as projects that were selected for new skills to be practiced or to create something in a color I craved.

So, am I a seasonal knitter? I don't think so, but there are a number of summer patterns in my queue. You'll have to check back and look at what gets cast on and finished in the next month or two.


Comments

Suzanne said…
I do look like purl diva don't I? Thanks for pointing it out ;-).

Lovely post, I adore your red bag and Pike vest looks soooo nice on you.
Yarn Bazaar said…
These are great pieces you have created. I would love to have one of my own -- especially the bag! It would really look nice on me.
Erin_in_Boston said…
Thank you Yarn Bazaar! I must say the Nigh Duck was a fun and quick project. It is in Classic Elite Yarn's Seaside pattern booklet. Check it out at your LYS as there are a number of great patterns in that collection.

Popular Posts