Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy Tall Ships on the Fourth of July, 2012

Today was the annual turnaround sail for the U.S.S. Constitution.
If you've been following this blog for awhile, you might recall that I live in Charlestown, a historic neighborhood of Boston. I often pinch myself and think how lucky we are to live so close to the city and in such a place filled with history and locales worthy of national pride. The Tall Ships are in town and the throngs of tourists were eagerly snapping photos and checking their maps for the sights to see. I am fortunate in the fact that I live here, no hotel and parking bills to manage.
This image is from the 2012 Bunker Hill Day parade.

I went for a walk last night and today and here is what I captured on my phone.

Bunker Hill Monument at sunset.
Another angle, with the iron fence as a frame.
The USCG Eagle, at sunset.
Flying in formation.
Blue Angels
The white steeple to the left of the Coast Guard boat is the famous North Church, "One if By Land".
The U.S.S. Constitution returning to her pier after the annual turnaround sail to South Boston.
I love the tugboats that work this area of the harbor.
Finally back at the dock.
Happy Fourth of July!

6 comments:

Gail said...

Such great photos, Erin! Boston is such a beautiful, historic city. I've only been there once, but I truly enjoyed walking around and taking it all in. The Tall Ships come to Chicago too - are they the same ones?

Erin_in_Boston said...

Thanks Gail my phone does a pretty decent job with pictures. I used my daughter's Canon on the Tuesday sunset walk, but my phone images were of a better quality, plus faster to upload via email. I dream of taking some photography classes in the fall, need to make that a priority. As for the Tall Ships that come to Chicago, I'm not sure. I will go back and create a link to the city webpage that lists the ships and events. maybe you can refer back to it when the Tall Ships come to your neighborhood.
BTW, I meant to comment on your recent post about the manicures with the cool images stamped onto the polish. I want my nail salon owner to check it out! Very unique!

Inky077 said...

Omgosh Erin, these are beautiful photos! I never see the Old North Church from this angle. I would love to see more of what daily living is like in Beantown from the camera's eye!

Kathleen Dames said...

Thanks for these! I miss Boston (and Chelsea, where I lived for a couple of years, just across the Tobin from you!), especially in the summer.
It was many moons ago, but I liked the photography class I took at the Museum School. Otherwise, I bet BCAE has some good options. And a friend did a whole training at NESOP, kind of like a Masters, but I would imagine they have one-off classes, as well.
The Constitution is such a beautiful boat.

Patricia said...

Wonderful pictures, Erin! The Tall Ships belong in Boston harbor. Periodically they dock in Los Angeles Harbor and crowds rush to see them, but somehow it just doesn't have the same feel. And...I love the picture of your knitting needles in your masthead!

Deb said...

Thank you so much for this post, I just recently found your blog. I grew up on the North Shore (Beverly), but have been on the west coast near San Francisco for 14 years. Your post brings back feelings of nostalgia for "home" there's nothing like the 4th in Boston! Thanks again!
Deb (moondapple@aol.com)