WIP Wednesday


Work in Progress Wednesday
A view of the Zakim Bridge and TD Banknorth from North Point walkway.
This image is gorgeous isn't it? I walked under the Zakim Bridge Monday night to meet up with my knitting friends and this spectacular park had me enamored. Lush greens, open spaces, and wonderful views of the city. This park now connects Charlestown's Navy Yard area with Cambridge, near the Science Museum. A great place for a walk, bike ride or picnic. I will be bringing you more images of this area. Promise.

Back to the Wednesday topic, knitting and what's on the needles.....
I spent most of the past weekend on my Levenwick, swatching, and then getting underway. How much do I love this pattern? I am getting simple but beautiful results on the collar. How much do I love this yarn? I am loving the Cascade 220 Heathers, in the Provence colorway. I need to get my butt to Stitch House for the August sale, Cascade is 40% off. Yes, at 40% off, stash enhancement commences....

Gudrun Johnston's Levenwick
Levenwick, pattern by Gudrun Johnston
Yarn, Cascade 220 Heathers, Provence color.
I got the yarn a year ago at Stitch House, and I picked up the pattern in March. I can't tell you why it has taken so long for me to cast on, but I am loving doing another sweater. I love the Old Shale lace neck details and the reverse stockinette stitch. I have gotten to the point where I put the sleeve stitches on holders and now the body progress is flying! I need to give a shout out to Evelyn of Project Stash who has started a Jump for Fall KAL.  She is planning to knit and sew some of her fall wardrobe. Join the Ravelry group for inspiration and encouragement.

Early stages of Barley Sugar, in Cascade Epiphany
Barley Sugar, pattern by Ysolda Teague's book Saturday Treat
Yarn, Cascade Epiphany
I have wanted to use this yarn ever since I got it in a Craftsy surprise box. It is hard to describe how soft the fiber is and the sheen is unlike any other yarn I have used so far. I got only one skein, and since it has been discontinued, I am praying that Susan of Windsor Button can work her magic and get me another skein in the same color. The pattern is pretty easy so far, I am working the initial 5" of stockinette in a tube shape. I found an easy provisional cast on here from Lucy Neatby. Try it, I guarantee you will find it easy, and it looks like it will be easy to pull out when I get to the stage where I have to join live stitches.

Miranda hat in Cascade 220 Sport
Miranda hat, free pattern by Evelyn Leong of Project Stash
Yarn, Cascade 220 Sport, color Teal
I began this project as a test knit for Evelyn. I was not a very reliable test knitter in this case. I wasn't feeling great around the time I got started, I was not getting gauge, and after three different yarns and repeated swatching, I just jumped in and figured the finished hat size would dictate who I gifted it to. I must also admit, perhaps due to my own malaise, I was not successful working from the chart. Luckily, Evelyn also included written directions in this pattern. Once I switched to the written directions, I got the results needed. It is nearing cast off and I hope to have it in the FO Friday post. If you are interested in working up this hat, Evelyn has a KAL/Challenge, go here to read more and to join us.

Piper's Journey Redux
Piper's Journey Redux, pattern by Paula Emons-Fuessle of the podcast Knitting Pipeline
Yarn, Cascade Alpaca Lana D'Oro
I cast this on about twenty minutes before I flew out the door to go to Monday Night Knit Group. I wanted a project that I could work on and still take part in the conversation without messing up. I also knew I needed to start another one of these because it is enjoyable knitting, easy to pick up and get started on without referring to the pattern, it is good mindless knitting when you are in the garter stitch shawl section of the pattern. The yarn is from deep stash, it was a grab win at a Stitch House birthday party. I will need to get another skein, and if I can't locate the same color/dye lot, I will look for a complimentary color.

Lush greenery in North Point Park.
As for meeting up with the knit group, we went to a new park located along the Charles. The access to this park is along the new North Point Bridge, which is situated under the Zakim Bridge. Here are just a few snaps of the view. I will be posting more images in the future; I hope to record the effects of light and weather on the angles and architecture as the season changes.

A view from under the Zakim.
Bridgewater in Citrus
Bridgewater in Citrus, pattern by Jared Flood
Yarn, Classic Elite Yarn, Silky Alpaca Lace
This WIP has not been getting much love. I had been working on it when I visited my sister, but while chatting, I made  mistake which I was not able to fix. You know I had to tink tink tink back about 9 rows. Nine rows, comprised of nearly 200 stitches. It is now in time out, waiting for me to get some patience and focused work time to get back to the area with no mistakes. You know that's where the updated lifeline will be reestablished.

I have been indulging in a lot of podcast listening, (no, I am not watching any of the Olympics, sorry). You know how much I love Single Handed Knits, right? Well Melissa has expanded my listening pleasure to Stockinette Zombies and KnitGirlls. What have I learned while listening? Here are some bullets to keep this brief, go and listen for more info if you are so inclined. Also, each podcaster has a Ravelry group that you can join.
  • Single Handed Knits is sponsoring a fun KAL called Sock the Vote. Check it out! Party registration opens up on Friday, August 3. I am still trying to decide if I will join the Toe Up or Cuff Down party. Specially dyed yarn, swag, and a box bag are to be had, and indie dyers will be supported. Thanks Mel for organizing such a fun idea.
  • Stockinette Zombies. All I can say is I feel like I am hanging out with these two prolific knitters, gleaning pattern and fiber info, hearing of giveaways and products, and enjoying the repartee. They are starting a cool Ravelry forum feature where you can swap UFOs, yarns, FOs or homepun with other S.Z. members. Go here to see the group page.
  • KnitGirlls. These two knitters are the source of much knit/fiber info. They are funny, knowledgeable, and the biggest thrill for me is that I have finally figured out where to read more about SSK. They announce details for next year's event in this episode. Knitters convene in Nashville, stay at Vanderbilt University and attend classes, rub elbows with other knit fiends and shop the market. I first heard or this while listening to Melissa and now I am hoping to book myself a place at this event next July.
That's it for now. Go to Tami's Amis if you'd like to see other projects and inspiring knitters at work.

Tami's Amis WIP Wednesday

Comments

Evelyn said…
Love all your WIPs and always appreciate how you introduce me to "new" yarns.
Julie said…
Thank you for participating in Show Your Stuff Blog Hop, You are invited to come back:
http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/08/show-your-stuff-35.html

Popular Posts