Monday, October 1, 2012

Ellison Bay


This pattern was sent to me last week from my friend Julie.
Have you heard of the pattern Ellison Bay? It is a shawl, a sister to Piper's Journey and Hyla Brook, all designed by Knitting Pipeline podcaster Paula Emons-Fuessle. All three shawls in the links were made using Quince and Company Yarn. I use every opportunity I have to spread the word on this line of yarn, it's made in the US using wool from local sheep. Please go and have a gander at their web page and their Look Book

The pattern has yarn over stitches creates an airy seam between the front and back panels.
I finished my Ellison Bay shawl last night. This pattern was sent to me by a friend in the hopes of kickstarting my knitting again. Julie knew that I had been struggling with changes here at home; my third daughter has left the nest as she goes off to college and I feel like I have lost my sense of purpose.

Ellison Bay shawl
Twisted stitch looks like a cable...
Yarn overs create eyelet seams
This pattern is a fun knit, easy to make and the final product is beautiful.
Ellison Bay to the rescue! This easy to memorize pattern was a great diversion and I can attest that it successfully brought back my knit energy; I have been happily knitting away all week. I can also tell you that this pattern is definitely one to consider.

Are you thinking it will be too complicated? I found it so easy and it was quick to make. Maybe you have never made a shawl? Not to worry, I just got started knitting shawls this summer and I believe I've made at least ten since June. The skills required are not complex.

Here are my tips to you if you decide to knit this shawl:
  1. Snug fitting stitch markers- this pattern depends on the Yarn Overs staying in line. If you use a larger stitch marker, the yarn sometimes moves and the straight rib becomes messy.
  2. Tink (knit) backwards to correct mistakes. I have no luck pulling the needles out and ripping back if I have to correct a mistake involving a yarn over. 
  3. Count the stitches between markers to be sure you have the same number for each front section and double that number for the back.
  4. When you are nearing the end of the garter section, be certain that the sections still have the same number in the front sections and double for the back.
  5. When doing the set up rows, make sure it lines up because the Eyelet mock cable stitches depend on there being proper alignment.
  6. When doing Row 3, be sure to check that you consistently PSSO, (pass slip stitch over). By this I mean, look at your progress, read your stitches and be sure you have a twist. If not, tink back earlier rather than later.
  7. Be prepared to seek out yarn for Ellison Bay, version two. :)
The other exciting thing happening here, besides regaining the knitting mojo and having an FO, Julie kind of dared me to join her in creating a Ravelry forum group. She suggested we call the group The East Coast Knitters.  We plan to do some Knit A Longs (KALs), swaps, Field Reports and who knows what all else we can cook up. It is fun to see our numbers grow and to read the introductions from new friends.

Consider joining us in the Ellison Bay KAL that we are starting. And please join our forum group on Ravelry.

3 comments:

Enid said...

Ellison Bay looks very nice. Good to get the mo-jo back
xxx

Sarah said...

Its lovely, I haven't seen that one before! I'm glad it work in reigniting your knitting passion.

Inky077 said...

Great comments on the pattern - I concur. I absolutely love the simplicity of the garter, and the small touches of cable-like patterning on the edge.