Icelandic Sweaters, so cozy


Here are some photos of one of my favorite sweaters. It came to me from my mum. She is a queen of shopping Goodwill and Salvation Army. She got his sweater for $4.00 in the Portland Goodwill shop over 15 years ago. Don't you love it?


It is my go-to outerwear when the coldest temperatures descend. Layered with a lightweight windbreaker and a long sleeve jersey, this sweater keeps me as toasty as a polar bear. Unfortunately, the fit makes me look like a polar bear too, but comfort trumps fashion in my world.


So why am I sharing this sweater with you today? Aside from encouraging you to get one for your own self? Perhaps to dangle the temptation of someday making and Icelandic sweater, using true Icelandic wool? Well, my purpose is to ask for advice.

One repair to do.
Second repair needed.
I love this sweater so much and care for it as best I can but there are signs of wear and I am unsure how to repair a sweater when I have no extra yarn to do it with. The other consideration is this, should I consider remaking this? I have never done stranded colorwork, so I am reluctant to do it now, but would you reclaim the wool and knit it in a more flattering style? Tell me what you think.

Comments

I totally think you should give it a try! I was shocked to find that I loved stranded colorwork when I finally gave it a try. I'd be hesitant to reclaim the wool unless you have practiced on something less sentimental.
Enid said…
I would attempt darning.
With both repairs do the sewing at back of work, like invisible stitches. At the colourwork try to interact with the loose stitches.
It is much too nice and useful to discard
xxxxxx
Inky077 said…
I agree with Faith! I love stranded work. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to knit that way all the time, but it's a refreshing and challenging change to my usual knitting. The process makes you slow down, think about knitting in a very different way and in the end you produce a very beautiful result.

Also, I believe the icelandic wools would blend in so that a repair wouldn't show. If it were me, I would use the method I do for weaving in ends - following the stitch pattern in a parallel fashion. It doesn't show from the front and would secure the loose/torn stitch. Bring the sweater with you when we go to the knitting retreat this weekend and let me look at it more closely. I really think its a very doable repair!

As for the edge repair - you could also use the weave in method there also. I think your best bet is either the icelandic wool, or the undyed cascade yarns?

But really, I love this design - you could totally replicate it, so you would never ever have to be without your beloved sweater. :)

Popular Posts