Friday, March 8, 2013

Finished Object Friday

Picot edge, Bristol's Cowl
Bristol's Cowl, pattern by Bristol Ivy
Yarn: Lion Brand Alpine Wool on size 11 needles
I found this to be a great learning project. I know how to do provisional cast on and don't avoid patterns that require it, but I still need to check on how to do it. You start this cowl with a provisional edge, knit the picot edge and then the two circulars of live stitches are knit together. It was fun, truly! It was also cool to see how easy it was to create such a unique finished edge. The other feature is the column of dropped stitches that create the open lacy look. Tricky for me, I needed to be sure I always had the correct number of stitches in each repeat, but when all was aligned, I enjoyed watching this design feature emerge. The yarn was Lion Brand Alpine, a single ply and so lofty. I wish my photos didn't  have such a yellowy tone, you know how challenging winter lighting can be.
I will definitely make this again, big needles and bulky yarn make for quick work.

Open lace work is created by the dropped stitches.
Dimensions are 10"x12".
 That's all I have for FOs today. Venture over to Tami's Amis and see what other projects are posted.

6 comments:

Karen said...

Your cowl is lovely!

nauget bluff said...

I always refer to a guide for the provisional cast on..but I have never been able to reproduce a decent picot edge...Very nice and cowl are my favorite knit!

Alicia Landi said...

That's a very pretty cowl!

Cleo said...

Love the lace!

fortheknitofit said...

I love the pattern and the yarn colour! They look beautiful together.

kathy b said...

WOW, I Love the pattern, the yarn and the length of the cowl. GREAT knit up