Drizzle, a hat to wear in any weather


A photo of the hat nearly finished, in the decrease section... this was a quick knit!
Drizzle, pattern by Mel of SingleHandedKnits
Yarn: Mad Tosh Dk, Ink color on size 6 needles. I made the medium size hat.
This hat is an easy to knit accessory that will come in handy during the spring months here in Boston. When my hair goes to frizz in the humidity, I can pop Drizzle on and keep the bad hair day at bay. Mel has written the pattern with three variations of slouch and I chose the mid range of extra fabric. It is an easy pattern to follow and it has clear and detailed photos with charted directions for the easy two row lace design. Mel even gives a photo tutorial on how to block the hat to get the maximum effect of slouch.

I do fall hard when challenged to join a knit along. I recently gave the Drizzle hat pattern to a Ravelry acquaintance and in doing so, I won a free copy for myself. I have so many projects going that I assumed that it would have to wait its turn before getting cast on. Well, that was my thinking until I noticed post #85 on the SingleHandedKnits Drizzle Knit Together forum.... and I was hooked. It would appear that Amy Beth of the Fat Squirrel Speaks wanted our help in selecting the color for her Drizzle project. She has a voting post here.

A finished photo, it was hard to capture the depth of color, more snapshots on project page.
If the Fat Squirrel is casting on, well.... I am too! I gathered needles, stitch markers, pattern and headed up to see what I had in stash that would work. I recently got a skein of mad Tosk Dk at Windsor Button in the Ink colorway.... a match. I cast on and enjoyed the rhythm of knitting stockinette stitch on the brim, and when I started the lace section.... well, it is like potato chip knitting, I couldn't seem to find a good place to stop. So I am making the medium size and I hope with blocking I get some good slouch out of the fabric. I need to do some button searching to find just the right touch to add to the brim.

Daughter number two was a willing model....
Why is it that I am so easily influenced....? Well, check out my latest project bag below and you'll understand. Amy Beth made this gorgeous bag and I bought it last week as a birthday gift to myself. It is such nice fabric, flawless sewing and a handy little strap that has a clip on it if I want to use it for keys or something like that. Amy Beth has started Fat Squirrel Fibers, a  shop of project bags and fiber, you'll need to watch her show or Ravelry forum group for updates, but stalk this shop if you want to get a sweet bag for your favorite knitting. BTW, she is doing a shop update at 9PM Friday of this week, there will be hand dyed yarn to match project bag fabrics....!

Fat Squirrel Fibers project bag.
Interior fabric is as pretty as the exterior.
So, lastly, I wanted to share this, Sam's Button Hat, a  cute little kid's hat, maybe you spied it in the Ravelry Top Twenty? It is a free pattern until April 7 and looks like it would be a good pattern to use up scrap leftovers and it creates a beautiful canvas to showcase cool buttons.  I don't have the ok to use the image yet, so go and take a gander. It is really sweet.

Comments

Alicia Landi said…
I've been looking for a new project bag, that's an awesome one!

Popular Posts