Friday, June 14, 2013

Finished Object Friday

Guernsey before blocking

March Guernsey, pattern by Jared Flood
Yarn: Cascade Yarns Eco+ on size 8 needles.
I started this project back in March when Julie alerted me to the one Amy Beth of the Fat Squirrel Speaks had on her needles. Amy Beth finished it much more quickly than I did, but it is done. It was a lot of knitting but I discovered I really love doing Guernsey style. It will be a wrap for cooler weather, maybe even a throw for a chair n my knitting room.

I have to say that using the Good Reader app really helped me get this done. I went to a class at the Stitch House taught by Jen of the audio podcast Down Cellar Studio. Jen is a friendly, knowledgeable and cool teacher who made all of us feel comfortable as we learned the various uses of this app. I loved how I could enlarge the pattern and use a highlighter feature to show which row I was on. I made no mistakes and loved that I could stop working and know exactly where to pick up again later. If you don't have this $4.99 app installed on your iPad, you should go check it out. The app allows you to save your pattern modifications and it lets you email the copy to yourself or a friend.

Daybreak
Daybreak by Stephen West
 Gratitude KAL Daybreak, pattern Stephen West
Yarn: Araucania Huasco in the #6 colorway and Indigodragonfly Bleats Shoots and Leaves in the Baldersquatch colorway on size 4 needles.
I started this shawl as a member in Amy Beth's Gratitude KAL but I did not finish it in time for the drawing. It was an enjoyable knit and I will definitely make it again. I will also be searching for more Araucania Huasco, I love this yarn nearly as much as Madelinetosh. It is a nice tight twist of 4 ply Merino and the color is mesmerizing.  Also, I love how the pattern showcased these yarns with no pooling issues. I am not a fan of that zigzaggy pooling.
 This is the shawl I wore to Squam Lake's Ravelry Revelry and Art Festival. Oh the fond memories of that magical place!

Sanibel Cowl
There is a yellow tone to the photo, the yarn has cooler hues than the photo.
Sanibel Cowl by Beth Ann Paustian (The East Coast Knitters are hosting a KAL for this cowl).
Yarn: Mystery yarn from the sale room at Saco River Dyehouse and Yarn Shop on size 8 needles.
This cowl was so easy, and quick to knit. I was craving working with summer weight yarns and was eager to cast it on once the Guernsey was finished.  I need more linen and cotton accessories now that the weather is warmer. I love having that punch of color at the neckline of an outfit. It will be a great addition to my accessories for summer; I miss my colorful wool scarves, cowls and shawls.

Grandmother's Favorite Dishcloth




Grandmother's Favorite Dishcloth


Grandmother's Favorite Dishcloths, pattern by Traditional Design
Yarn: Lily's Sugar and Cream Ombre on size 5 needles.
I know this is not the  most exciting of FOs to share, but it is such an easy pattern. This is a free pattern and is so easy to make. If you are teaching some one to knit, this is a perfect first project. The cotton might be a bit stiff for a new knitter but the results will be much speedier than a scarf.The cloth with the darker shade of purple was knit by alternating two colors every other rom. I did this to avoid the pooling of colors.

Washcloths make a nice hostess gift with a bar of homemade soap.  Washcloths are a coveted item in my family. My sisters and my mum love them, so I am always trying new patterns for the washcloth stash.

Miami Beach Shawl in Ultra Pima

Miami Beach Shawl before blocking
Miami Beach Shawl in Crimson, by Vera Sanon
Yarn: Cascade Ultra Pima on size 7 needles
I have had this yarn in stash since 2010, I had thought I would use it for a sweater, but that was before I understood that cotton grows lengthwise. I searched Ravelry by the yarn and found a number of patterns by Vera Sanon using the Ultra Pima. The shawl fit what I wanted for an accessory, so I cast on and found it to be pretty simple. I do use markers for each pattern repeat in order to catch mistakes before I get too far into the project. I used Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy cast off. Now I need to block and open up the design more. I will post a picture of that, I think it is going to look pretty different once blocked.


There are many other blogs featuring FOs. Go to Tami's Amis to see what other knitters have finished recently. Another person who features finished objects and fibers is WonderWhyGal. Each Friday people post links to their work in her Wisdom in Wonder blog.

1 comment:

dorothee draft said...

Your guernsey looks really nice ! Great knit !