Vintage Knitting Needles and Antique Bottles

Vintage Knitting Needles and Antique Bottles

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Works in Progress Wednesday #181

Spate, mitts from Journey
Pattern: Spate by Jane Richmond from the book Journey
Yarn: Elderberry Yarns, Aran on size 7 and 8 needles.
This yarn was a gift from Grace, she brought it from Vancouver Island. The yarn is hand dyed and is such lovely hues of green. I first cast this on DPNs but they were so fiddly and my gauge was uneven. I swatched to Magic Looping and it has flown. I also struggled with the stitch pattern the first time around, but I have only been working on these for an hour and they have flown!

Rae
Pattern: Rae by Jane Richmond
Yarn: Ellyn Cooper's Yarn Sonnets Oinling on size 8 needles
My friend Julie/Inky077 urged me to cast on this shawlette, she so enjoyed making hers. I had the yarn from a friend's de-stash. It is a colorful bamboo that I so enjoy working with. I think it will be a nice accent of color with some of my lime green tops.

Madelinetosh Vintage in Amber Trinket
Stockholm
Pattern: Stockholm, pattern by knittedblissJC
Yarn: Madelinetosh Vintage in Amber Trinket on size 8 needles
This is a beautiful stitch but one that I need to be quiet to do. It does fall into a rhythm and so I will sit and work on a couple pattern repeats. There are mods to knit it in the round but I opted to knit it flat and seam it up when done. I am not sure what I have in the closet to go with this color, just might need to go shopping....

Swatch One
Swatch Two
Swatch Three
Class: Swatch Like You Mean It
Yarns from my stash
Needles: Knit Picks Caspian Straights, size 6
I don't want to give away too much but I have undertaken an e-class, Swatch Like You Mean It!, taught by Mel of SingleHandedKnits. I am abysmal at swatching, and then, using the info to perfect my fit and finished work.

Our first assignment was to knit three swatches using the same needle and three different yarns from stash. Then we were to look at the resulting fabric, drape, and any other observations and record our findings in our notebooks.

Swatch One is yarn that I scored on eBay, Bristol Yarn Gallery Ashton. I have enough for a sweater but have not been brave enough to take the plunge into actually knitting one. I love the stitch definition and drape.

Swatch Two is from Ireland. I did a swap and got enough of this aran weight to make a sweater. The brand is Kerry Woolen Mills Aran. Nice stitch definition, not much drape and a scratchy feel, I am hoping that after a bath it will soften.

Swatch Three is another lot that was a sweater until I ripped it out. The yarn is Blue Heron Rayon Cotton Seed. I have tons and hope to match it up to a more suitable pattern. The texture is lovely and I do like the fabric it created over the looser gauge that my former sweater called for.

I will share tidbits to whet your appetite for the next session of Swatch Like You Mean It class. I do hope it will take my skills to the next level.


If you'd like to see more WIPs, go to Tami's Amis to see what other bloggers have on their needles!