Wednesday, October 29, 2014

A visit to KnitWit Yarn shop in Portland, Quince yarn, and the Gradient KAL.

Frolicking Feet for my Radiant Gradient project

I took my mum to visit KnitWit Yarn shop in Portland on Saturday. My mission was to scout around for some gradient yarn for a KAL I am hosting over on the East Coast Knitters forum page.  Go visit the page for all of the details and join us in knitting an item made with gradient colors. I will close the entries on Thanksgiving and draw for prizes on Black Friday. If chosen, you could win a project bag from KnittinginBeantown, a set of stitch markers, or a StitchNerd pattern of your choice.

The definition of gradient is: hmmmm funny because the definitions that popped up were related to math or temperature.... basically a change in the value over a slope or curve. So in color, gradient might mean shifting of color from hue to hue in longer stretches. At least that's what I thought it was. If you search gradient shawl patterns on Ravelry, you'll find many that play with shifting colors, whether within a single shade of color or over a range of complimentary or contrasting colors. If you choose to join the KAL, understand that I am pretty flexible with the definition of gradient, aim to find a colorful yarn or work within one color and use a variety of hues.

Purl Bee, Ombre Wrap
 Purl Soho had a gorgeous shawl on their page last week. Have a look.... Purl Bee Ombre Wrap
The yarn used is Mongolian Cashmere, eight skeins, for a total cost of $398.00 for the kit. I can daydream, ok? Imagine, how luxurious to knit and to wear?

Radiant Gradient by Susan Ashcroft




Another suggestion was this shawl, Radiant Gradient, by Susan Ashcroft aka Stitchnerd. This is the one I plan to cast on using the Frolicking Feet yarn seen below, but I'll need to find a good contrast color first, maybe the olive or purple.

 
If you have not yet popped into KnitWit, please do. It a small and unassuming spot, surprisingly stashed with yummy yarns, and staffed with welcoming and knowledgeable knitters. They have such a vast supply of Quince and Co Yarn and now, Brooklyn Tweed yarns. As I checked out the display of gradient yarns, I fell hard for the olive and deep purple tones of the Frolicking Feet. I had to have it when I discovered it is a "Made in Maine" product!

Quince and Co Chickadee in Carrie's Yellow
While browsing and getting high on wool fumes in KnitWit, my mum found a scarf she liked and so I got the pattern and yarn, and of course, cast on. The progress in the photo is minimal, but I do like the pattern and I love Chickadee, by Quince and Co Yarn.

Pattern: Scarf Squared by Pam Allen
Yarn: Quince and Co Yarn, Chickadee in the Carrie's Yellow colorway on size 6 needles.
This is such a simple but stunning pattern. You know how I love garter stitch... I love the stacked blocks of garter and the length will be just right for my mum, not too long or too wide. I need to try and finish it before going back to Maine this weekend.

So, will you join us in the Gradient KAL? No? Well, please come and look at what the group makes, maybe it will inspire a future project. Happy Knitting!

1 comment:

elns said...

Oh wow, you sure know how to pick em'!

I love that purlbee gradiant too. I just about peed my pants when I saw the price on the kit, but yes we can dream.

Maybe one day some day I'll give that pattern a go with some other yarn.