#TopographyKerchiefKAL on Instagram

Topography, by Melissa Stadja
Are you an Instagramer? I get into so much trouble because of Instagram! I scroll through the photos and always find inspiration and enabling galore.  I follow a lot of knitters, designers and yarn sources and two days ago I spotted a KAL invitation. (Do I really think I can pull of another KAL?????) The Instagram Topography Kerchief KAL is hosted by #HeyLadyHey and runs from January 16-February 20, 2015. It involves using this pattern and fingering or DK weight yarn. Hashtag your project with #TopographyKAL and show your progress on Instagram! When you have completed your project, change the tag to #TopographyKALFin. The idea is to choose a yarn that has medium to long runs of color and you decide on the dominant color to highlight. The shawl is a basic shape and easy to knit, addictive actually. I cast on Sunday night and have not had much knitting time but I have about 6" done so far. I am not sure if my initial yarn fits the design concept as well as another, but I was thinking to test knit it and do a second one using some Schaeffer Yarn a friend had de-stashed.

Republic of Wool Image imported from Etsy
Yarn Ink Studio, image imported from Etsy
My first Topography attempt, using Fantasy/Lana Grossa sock yarn
Pattern: Topography Kerchief, designed by Melissa Stadja
Yarn: Fantasy, Lana Grossa on size 5 needles. (Another de-stash from Becky).
The pattern asks for you to select a needle size larger than called for to create an open, lacy effect. Melissa has a YouTube video showing her design idea, and she suggests a number of yarns that will showcase the concept. One is Republic of Wool, another is Yarn Ink Studio.  She suggests opening up the skein to see if there are 3-5 sections of different colors, one should have a 12" repeat. I know I have a number of single skeins of sock or fingering weight in stash and they often languish, waiting to turn into something special. Does this happen to you? You might want to stash dive and see what you can cast on when you join this KAL. You know you want to, right?

Comments

Gina said…
Ummm, just added the perfect skein to my stash for this one, I am in search of a project tooo, I might be getting enabled!

-Gina

Popular Posts