There is a variety of sheep at the Romney Ridge Farm, including Romneys, Border Leiester, Corriedales and Southdowns. She also raise goats and blends in their mohair into the wool. The fleece from other local farms are also added in when the wool is at the mill.
The Tickling Sheep video from the Common Cod Ignite Boston event will give you photos and Kelly's description of why she loves what she does. Go and have a look here.
Kelly has a number of bases:
- Downeast is a woolen spun worsted weight in 200 yard, 4 ounce hanks. There are quite a few colors available and all are lovely saturated shades.
- Signature Yarns include Romney Ridge Farm Blend which starts as a base of natural white and brown fleeces over which Kelly adds her dyes. There is a small amount of mohair added to the mix. This yarn is DK weight with 200 yards per skein.
- Another Signature yarn is the Gradient Farm Blend, this is a DK weight in a 200 yard put up. The colors are applied in runs of tonal colors.
- The third Signature yarn is the Kaleidscope Dyed Yarn. This 250 yard, 4 ounce hank is individually dyed, no two are quite alike. Go and have a look at the color combinations that Kelly has created.
- Kelly also has kits, felted animal kits, and stationery.
Since the summer, I have stashed a number of Romney Ridge Farms yarns. None have yet become a finished object, but I do have a few in mind. Here is what I have purchased from Kelly.
|Farm Blend in the Plum colorway|
|Wavelength Cowl by Kate Ray|
|This Mohair/Wool blend may become a vest.|
|Rousabout by Kristen Ten Dyke|
|Willow in the Violet colorway|
|Willow in the Turkey Red colorway|
|Willow in the Pumpkin colorway|
|Willow, in the hard to capture, Lagoon color|
|Kaleidoscope in Wind colorway.|
I hope you will enjoy looking at the links in this post and consider adding some Romney Ridge wool to your stash!