Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Spring Mystery KAL by Jennifer F

Link to pattern here.

Mystery Knit Along defined:
A designer lures you into knitting their pattern with a few tempting details and the promise of a project broken into do-able chunks. The pattern instructions are released as "clues". You'll get a portion of the design and about two weeks to finish before the next clue is sent to you. The designer usually sponsors a forum where questions can be asked and help offered. There is often a "Spoiler Thread" that allows you to peek at the progress made so far and the colors those involved have chosen.


I don't always fall victim to mystery knit alongs. Normally, I want to know what I am making to a certain extent. I want to know it won't involve lace, dropped stitches, or funky stuff unless I am prepared for that look.


So, you are wondering, how did this one in particular suck you in????? Well, partly it was the fact that I didn't open the first clue until there were two clues available to knit. I liked the idea of an accessory that isn't exactly a cowl or a shawl....in two (or more) colors knit in a stripe pattern. I looked and figured I could crank out the steps of clue one fairly quickly. Once I selected my yarn, I was hooked!


Pattern: Spring Mystery KAL by Jennifer Faifel
Yarn: Cascade Heritage Paints 150 in the Dahlia colorway, Cascade Heritage Silk in Primavera on size 5 needles.
I went to WEBS for the first time with my Common Cod friend Gina. I did go with a list and the open mind that I might find something I just had to have. Good thing! I saw the green first and then when I spied the multi colored wool, into the basket they both went. Thanks Gina!!

Jennifer gives a description of what is needed on the project page; 200 grams of fingering weight yarn in two or more colors. She also suggests the pattern is a great stash busting solution, use up all those leftover sock remnants. There are over 200 people knitting along, there is a forum page for posting the colors and types of yarns people are using. Go have a look, maybe you'll join us?

Have you tried Mystery KALs? Did you enjoy it? Share in the comments!

1 comment:

lakf53 said...

Good choice of colors! I am currently working on Pterodactyl using a polydactyl set from Miss Babs. And just finishing the 2014 Advent Calendar Scarf (started in January). I got sucked into a VKAL (video KAL) for the Barrington 5.0, but I made too many mistakes and will be starting over soon. Finally - I had to try Tin Can Knits new blanket from their Road Trip collection - so I ordered the yarn from Webs and have made a good beginning on that. Yeah - I'm a polygamist.