Family Friday....

Hydrangea shrub
Hello readers, knitters, and crafty types. I have been preoccupied on this end, and though the knitting happens, the postings have not. My summer, as you may know, has been spent here in Southern Maine where I am living with my parents and assisting them in general housekeeping, cooking, and companionship. During my time here I have witnessed a shift of her level of need for help and the ensuing confusion and forgetfulness. I have been nudging my dad to pursue the next steps of care for  my mom and doing the legwork to research what options are out there. It has been exhausting, emotionally draining, and I often feel like Judas, a betrayer. We have reached the point where a placement has been found in a lovely assisted living home not far from where they live. The daily routine there is filled with activities and socializing. Still, though I should feel a surge of accomplishment, I face my mom and experience the worst sense of betrayal. I know the time is ripe for this transition but when I think of her, living separate from my dad and family and familiar things, my eyes well up and I have a hard time processing the changes that are coming.
I don't really want to get much more detailed in what I share, out of respect for my parents, but I felt I needed to let you know where I am and why I am not posting much. Keep us in your thoughts and send us your positive energy. It will be greatly appreciated. erin

Comments

Anonymous said…
You are a wonderful daughter - all your Mom's children are wonderful. It's a necessary step and from what we know and just read here, you are treating her with extraordinary care and LOVE.
Barb & Kevin McDonald
Gina8668 said…
Hugs from Gina
Bridget said…
Hang in there, sometimes the best things to do are the hardest and make you feel the worst. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts.
Lee said…
Erin, I totally understand what you are experiencing. My mom has lived in assisted living for a number of years. Although there are bumps in the road, it is reassuring to know that she is safe and taken care of. You have been doing a wonderful thing for your parents and will hopefully continue to feel this is for the best as well.
Cynthia said…
I'm there too...saddens me just thinking about it. Hugs!
Val said…
These are the hardest decisions that you will make as a daughter. You are doing what is necessary to keep your Mom safe and as a result you are caring for your Dad. Take care of yourself, cry it out if you need to, and keep stepping forward. Pick up your knitting when it gets rough and I will knit a bit for you here.

Popular Posts