Tools and Techniques, Ravelry Project Page, set yourself up!!!

A view of one of my project pages.
I am guilty. I apologize. Forgive me? (What is she talking about????)

I am guilty of assuming that everyone knows and loves and uses Ravelry on a daily basis. Ok, maybe on a weekly basis.... But I have made an assumption that may be flawed. My way of offering my apology is to show you some tips so you too can become a Ravelry literate knitter. Believe me, once you dip your toe in, you will wonder how you functioned without it.

I am going to focus on creating a project page today. I will revisit Ravelry with other strategies in the near future. For those of you who live and breath Ravelry, bear with me, offer your own tips or insights and encourage our newbies to persist.

A Project Page, why bother?
I am better at creating a project page than I am at swatching, it is so much easier and I like adding photos, so that makes it fun. I believe taking the few minutes of time to set up a projec page is worthwhile for the following reasons:

  • It creates a place to save your notes, your yarn and needle sizes and the date you cast on.
  • Your info can be helpful to another knitter when they search the pattern you are linked to, in the yarn you are using, and the level of challenge you select on the Difficulty Rating.
  • Your notes can detail where you stopped or modifications you have made.
  • In using Tags, your project can be labelled with a KAL you are doing or it can simply list some of the features of the pattern, such as Sweater, Pullover, Top Down, Cables, Picot Edging, Stockinette.
I get ahead of myself though. How and where should you begin? When you look at Ravelry, you always see the red ball to the left and the tabs across listing My Notebook, Patterns, Yarns, People, Forums, Shop, Questions, Search and Shopping Cart. Today you'll want to click on My Notebook. Look under the About Me and you will see "Add a Project" Click on it and it will take you to the image below.

Enter your project info here.

You first select "Which Craft"... the options include crochet, knitting, loom or machine knitting, weaving or spinning.
Then, name your project, you can use the pattern name or be creative.
Next, enter the pattern name. It will connect you to the pattern you have selected. There are options to select "I didn't use a pattern" or "Pattern is not listed in Ravelry".
Once this info is entered you select "Continue".
You will see a listing of patterns with the name you entered, you may need to scroll down to locate your pattern. Below shows you a shortcut. On the pattern page, look in the right hand upper side and you will see, "Cast On". It will take you to your project page.

On pattern page, click "Cast On" and it will take you to a project page.
When on your project page, you will enter more info, under the tabs labelled Details, Photos, Blog Posts and Comments, you need to click the pencil to edit project. Select "In Progress", give it a smiley face, and then click the calendar to start the project. You will come back to this section of the page if you choose to put your project into hibernation or mark it as finished. If you like to see progress, you can click Edit and move the slider as your knitting moves along. There is a spot under the bar labelled "About This Pattern" where you can give it a rating from 1-5 stars and your can slide the green bar to indicate level of difficulty.

Begin entering your info now.
The next bit of information to enter will be your needle size, your yarn and related notes. I find that I often check back on my project page to see what needle size I used when I repeat the project. Select the size or sizes of needles used. Then enter the yarn you have chosen. in the first yarn box, there is a link to the right. This will give you a drop down menu when the yarn brand has multiple weights. You can enter the colorway and dyelot number, which might be handy info for you in the future, should you need more yarn or if you frog the project and lose the ball bands. As for the "Purchased At" info, I try very hard to add my yarn to "Stash" as soon as I can so I have the price paid, date purchased and yarn shop. I will share Stash tips in a future post. For now, enter the info, as best as you can recall. In the "Notes" section, I record a variety of comments. I might note how I found the pattern or that the yarn was bought while on a retreat or as a souvenir. I also record progress, if I leave off on Row 12, I make a note of it. Sometimes I cast on too many thing and have trouble reading the stitches to figure out where I stopped. In making a note on my progress page, I am sure to find my last row worked. 
Lastly, under the Notes section is a counter that shows how many times others have viewed your progress notes.



Next week, I will share info on using the Photos tab,  Blog Posts and Comments. 
I hope this post is helpful to those of you that find Ravelry to be intimidating or overwhelming. Just try using it a little bit each week. 
Also, if this is too simplistic and not useful as a Tools and Techniques topic, please leave me a comment. I want to write posts that are helpful and useful to you.





Comments

elns said…
Good tips. I like the idea of my ravelry project pages, but I'm horribly lazy and late to updating. I think I have posted more photos since the wooly app. i wish there was an app that made it easier to access the ravelry groups via mobile.
Val said…
Thanks for posting this, I have run into problems not putting 8 my needle size and this is a good reminder. If I had done, it all along, I would know where all the socks I knitted have gone. I have lots of scraps but the socks were gifted.

Love your blog, and I look forward to more tips.

Popular Posts