Thursday, September 29, 2016

FO Friday Samen Shawl



The beginning stage of my Samen Shawl, and my Knit Wit Yarns project bag.
I first saw this shawl on The Fat Squirrel Speaks podcast. My version looks different, as it is not knit with two different strands held together. The Stephen West pattern has a marled effect where the two yarns blend together. The yarns were all gathered from the De-Stash room at Fiber Camp this past March. Such beauteous colors! I was going to use the wool for mittens and hats but they looked too pretty together. When I saw the Samen design, it clicked!

Stephen West's Samen, from his Ravelry project page
Pattern: Samen by Stephen West Digital download on Ravelry.com $6.00
Yarn: Araucania Nature Wool Solids and Louet Gems Worsted

The pattern is a fun puzzle to knit but not so challenging that you need to sit alone to knit. The yarn is so soft and sproingy. It is an aran weight and has been discontinued but you can find skeins for sale on the Ravelry yarn page if you like the hues. The pattern calls for short rows and eyelets and then garter across the width. It went pretty quickly and is a very good size. I'll need to add measurements later as it is in Maine....




As a note of encouragement, this was such a fun knit and not taxing on the brain to knit while watching Netflix or hanging out with family. The pattern is detailed and has great instructions. It is a $6.00 digital download on Ravelry. I'm actually surprised that only 587 projects are listed on his pattern page. I will definitely knit this again.